Should I go outside during COVID?
Should I go outside during COVID is a great overall statement from health practitioners in response to COVID-19. As well, Children and Nature Network have created some great articles at this link including How to bring the outdoors in when you’re stuck inside.
ACTIVITIES – FREE AND FUN
Staying Active at Home
- ParticipAction offers 15 ways for your family to stay active at home
- Active for Life has 200 activities you can do with kids at home
- Yoga for kids / families – This link has free printable posters of yoga poses to guide your practice.
- Animal Movement – 12 Animals Walks for strength, conditioning and overall movement coordination
- 10 Jumping Activities for Kids
Playful Games for Indoors
- Here are some old classic games from CBC Parent that may have been forgotten in the screen-time era. Revive them now
- Hand-Clapping Games to put your rhythm and coordination to the test!
- All kinds of play activities and lots of other great ideas for unplugging
Outdoor Learning Activities, Games & Projects
- Here is a list of resources pulled together by our friends at Kootenay Basin Environmental Network. They have compiled a list of free, fun & easy-to-use lessons and projects for indoors and out made available by some great groups and organizations across Canada. Here’s the PDF too.
- Tinkergarten Activities
- A 5-min indoor nature connection guided practice to help keep calm and carry on
We know in these uncertain times, everyone is doing the best they can with the amount of time cooped up at home. We often feel this pressure to find lists of ideas, resources and activities to help fill our days. And while it’s necessary to find some degree of structure throughout the day, research has proven the importance of unstructured time – how beneficial that can be for healthy development, especially with kids. We sometimes fear boredom, but studies show so many benefits that come from being bored.
So during these weeks ahead, cut yourself some slack. We’re all doing the best we can.