Take Me Outside Day Hosts
Find a TMO Day event through one of our partners!
For Take Me Outside Day 2022, we want to include everyone in the fun of outdoor learning. So we reached out to our partner organizations to see who could host their very own unique TMO Day events! While many teachers sign up with their classes, this gives another opportunity to participate outside of the classroom, and get to know some of the many amazing outdoor learning partners we work with!
This list will continue to update with additional details leading up to Wednesday October 19th.
Haven’t registered for TMO Day yet? Click here to sign up!
▪️ BC Parks
- Salute to the Sockeye
- Tsútswecw Provincial Park, BC
- Celebrate TMO Day while saluting the Sockeye! The Salute to the Sockeye takes place on the dominant year of the four-year cycle (2022, 2026, 2030). Indigenous have been celebrating the return of the sockeye for many years.
- BC Parks will be giving away Free T shirts and Stickers to Educators as a thank you for brining your class outside on TMO Day!
- The Biosphere is the host organization for Future Leaders, an environmental education program for K-12 students in the Bow Corridor within Treaty 7 Territory and Métis Nation of Alberta Region 3. From understanding the waste in our world, wildlife movement through the local landscape to invasive species removal and a cross-cultural sharing project themed around bison in the montane ecosystem, the Future Leaders program is dedicated to teaching with, for and from the natural world in a responsive way.”
- To encourage your outdoor learning on October 19th and beyond, please sign up here for a ‘virtual visit’ with your class where ISCBC provide a short presentation and Q&A about invasive species with your students before or after Take Me Outside Day. Let us know how you chose to participate and get some bonus resources – share photos or a note about your students in action outside and ISCBC will send you some goodies such as stickers and educator publications!
▪️ Ocean Wise
What has sharp spikes covering its body, doesn’t have eyes but can see with its feet?
Join Ocean Wise Education’s team of experts for an interactive virtual beach walk to learn all about the creatures that call Vancouver’s coastal waters home. We will also be exploring some of the challenges that our shorelines face and what actions we can take to help!
An expert educator will be live on site at one of Vancouver’s most ecologically diverse beaches. This session is fully interactive! Join along and ask questions. See a cool tidal pool? You can direct our educator to go take a closer look.
Join us for a stroll and learn all about ocean life and some of the challenges that it faces along the way.
Register in advance for this meeting:
Time: 10am-11am PST
Date: October 19th, 2022
▪️ Ontario Parks
- Ontario Parks has created a Flip Collection full of resources just for Take Me Outside Day! Check it out here. They will also be hosting school groups throughout TMO Week – did you know they offer over 8000 programs every year?
- Outdoor Play Canada (OPC) is a network of advocates, practitioners, researchers, and organizations working together to promote, protect, and preserve access to play in nature and the outdoors for all people living in Canada. OPC is in full support of Take Me Outside Day and its goal to raise awareness about outdoor learning and play and extend the learning and play environment beyond four walls and a desk!. If you are part of a school board within the Ottawa Region, Outdoor Play Canada can help support your school in hosting your own TMO Day event! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
▪️ Project WET
- Project WET and SASKOutdoors, in partnership with Ecole Lumsden Elementary School and Take Me Outside are hosting a Water Festival afternoon on Tuesday October 18 for students in grades 3-5. Each participant will experience three different fun, interaction, inquiry-based, outdoor activities. With help from the French Immersion grade 8 students, activities will be offered in English and French.
- SaskOutdoors and Project WET, in partnership with Ecole Lumsden Elementary School and Take Me Outside are hosting a Water Festival afternoon on Tuesday October 18 for students in grades 3-5. Each participant will experience three different fun, interaction, inquiry-based, outdoor activities. With help from the French Immersion grade 8 students, activities will be offered in English and French.
On TMO Day, head to a local water body and use your senses to tell us what you see, hear, smell, and feel! If you have water testing equipment, what other information can you gather about this water body? Share a photo of your local water body and an interesting fact about it on social media using the hashtags #WaterRangers and #TakeMeOutisdeDay. Water Rangers will pick a winner to receive a fresh or salt water compact test kit. See you on the water!
- Wild About Outdoor Learning celebrates and encourages people of all ages in British Columbia to #getOUTdoors and #getINvolved in activities to prompt their general well-being, physical health, mental health, learning about nature and caring for it.
- To help celebrate Take Me Outside Day,Wild About Outdoor Learning is hosting a full week of activities. Check it out here!